We’re back in Umbria, and we have our three laying hens back home which means we are lucky enough to get three fresh eggs each and every day. Although I never expected fresh eggs to taste much different from the eggs we used to buy in the store, they do taste amazing, and we find we love to eat eggs more often. One of my favorite ways to use our eggs is to make a frittata, with whatever fresh vegetables are on hand, a little cheese, and perhaps a little ham or pancetta thrown in for flavor. We like to enjoy a wedge of the frittata for breakfast, for lunch along with a salad, or even as a filling for a panini or flatbread. An Italian friend was kind enough to look after our chickens for us while we were away for the winter and he added them to his large flock of about 30 birds. He has an organic farm and when my husband went to pick up our girls, he gave us fresh picked asparagus, a dozen fresh eggs, and a handful of fresh herbs. As soon as I saw our bounty, I got busy making this frittata.
Deborah Mele 2012
Spring Asparagus Frittata
A frittata flavored with asparagus, pancetta, & fried potatoes.
- 7 to 8 Medium Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk or Cream
- 6 Spears Asparagus, Trimmed & Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 1/2 Cup Diced Pancetta
- 1 Large Potato, Peeled & Diced Into 1/2 Inch Pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Herbs
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Grated Pecorino Cheese
- In a pot of water, cook the asparagus until tender, then remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Cook the diced potato until tender then drain.
- In a heavy oven-proof skillet, heat the oil, then cook the pancetta until lightly browned, then add the potato and cook until colored.
- Beat together the eggs and milk, and season with salt, and pepper.
- Stir the herbs and cheese into the egg mixture.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, then scatter the pancetta, potatoes, and asparagus over the top.
- Cook over medium heat until the bottom is cooked and lightly browned and then place under the broiler until the frittata top is set.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.