Homemade Lasagna Noodles

I try and use fresh pasta sheets for any type of lasagna I may make just because I think fresh egg pasta sheets always taste better in a lasagna than dried ones do. Here in Umbria we are lucky enough to be able to buy great quality fresh pasta sheets that are very inexpensive in almost every grocery store, so I do not always make my own when I’m in Italy. Back in North America however, I find it difficult to find fresh pasta for lasagna so I always make my own when I’m there. Making pasta from scratch is really quite easy, and once you get the hang of it you’ll find you can create fresh pasta quite quickly. I tend to use just all-purpose flour for my lasagna noodles, but I know many folks who like to use half semolina and half all-purpose. Feel free to experiment to see what you like best.

Buon Appetito!
Deborah Mele 2012

Homemade Lasagna Noodles

Yield: Pasta For 1 13 X 9 Inch Lasagna

Prep Time: 45 mins

Cook Time: 0 mins

Fresh egg pasta always tastes best used in any lasagna dish and it is quite easy to make yourself at home.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour

2 Large Eggs

3 Large Egg Yolks

Pinch of Salt

Directions:

To make the pasta, mound your flour on a large pastry board, or the counter with the salt, and make a well in the center.
Break the eggs, and yolks into this well, and start to scramble each egg with a fork as it is being added.
Start to incorporate the eggs and flour by slowly bringing more flour in from the inside edges of the well.
Continue mixing the flour with the eggs until they are no longer runny.
Using your hands now, bring the outside edges in, forming a large mass on your board.
Use only the amount of flour needed to form a soft ball.
Begin to knead the ball of dough as you would bread, pushing it down with the heel of your hand.
Continue kneading until the dough is smooth and satiny, for about 5 to 7 minutes.
Wrap the prepared dough in plastic wrap, and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
Use a pasta roller or roll by hand to make long sheets of pasta 1/8 inch thick. (I use my Kitchen Aide table mixer with the pasta attachment and roll my pasta to the third last position or to number 6 on the dial.)
After rolling, cut into 12 inch long strips, and precook in boiling water for 30 seconds, then place in ice water.
Dry and set aside on clean kitchen towels.

20 Responses to “Homemade Lasagna Noodles”

1. 1
    James — September 1, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

Great recipe. I’m going to give it a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing it with all your readers. You keep writing and we’ll keep reading.

2. 2
    Deb — September 6, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

Wow, I’ve never made pasta with that egg to flour ration, suspect it is awesome…..perhaps I’lll give this recipe a chance!! Hmm I’ve got some truffle butter…might be perfect!!

3. 3
    Beatrice — September 11, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

I’ve made noodles before, without a mixer and without a pasta machine. It takes a lot of work, to be honest. But it’s so worth it!

4. 4
    Shelley — December 4, 2012 @ 9:08 am

I came across your recipe from Pinterest. I am wanting to make homemade noodles for lasagna, because we have NEVER had fresh pasta & I think it would be a special treat to at least try. Once parboiled & dried is this pasta ready to go for layering in lasagna? I was considering making a crockpot lasagna since I work (I bring my crockpot with me). Just thought I’d ask if you think these fresh noodles will hold up to crockpot cooking?

Deborah Reply:

Shelley, homemade noodles are much more delicate than store bought noodles so I would not use them in a crockpot lasagna.

5. 5
    Kristen — December 10, 2012 @ 10:33 am

Quick Question..I am stocking up the freezer in preparation for the birth of our first baby. If i make these homemade noodles…then do I par-boil them – let them dry – assemble the lasagna and freeze? I am just not sure how homemade noodles differ from store bought. Will is work this way? Thanks so much!!!

Deborah Reply:

Kristen, I would assemble the entire lasagna dish, not try and freeze the noodles on their own. When you want to prepare the lasagna, simply remove it from the freezer and thaw completely (it may take all day) then bake when needed.

Kristen Reply:

Thanks so much! Do I still need to par boil the noodles and let dry before assembling the lasagna? Thanks so much!!!

Deborah Reply:

Kristen, just complete all the steps up until the point the lasagna goes into the oven. Instead, wrap well and freeze until needed.

6. 6
    Kristen — December 12, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Thank you so much!!! I am excited about this! Can you do the noodles the day before and store them in the fridge? Or is it best to do it the day of! Grazie Mille!

Deborah Reply:

It is best to make them fresh.

7. 7
    Nicolette — December 25, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

This was a wonderful base for our Christmas lasagne! My husband and I just moved to TX – no specialty stores to be found within 45+ minutes of us, and my mother in law has an Italian specialty store down the street from her so she is lucky enough to never *have* to make fresh noodles and was therefore recipe-less when we decided to make it (and apparently after only being with my husband for 6 years I still think the dried box noodles in my lasagne is cheating…even at 9+ months pregnant, I am stubborn enough to make my own). Anyway, yes! It was super-simple and fantastic and wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

8. 8
    Bernadette — May 22, 2013 @ 4:37 am

I had some incredible lasagna yesterday in Ventimaglia, Italy. The pasta was like nothing I’ ve ever had before. It was absolutely silky. It dawned on me that they must have used fresh pasta. What a difference!

9. 9
    Mike — August 28, 2013 @ 11:40 pm

Tried it and could not get the noodles to stay the right length (they kept shrinking on me after I would stop rolling the pasta) or achieve the correct consistency/texture . I followed the directions verbatim and wound up with a nearly unworkable mass of egg and flour (which I ended up tossing out).

Maybe if I had the fancy pasta maker it might have worked, but I don’t (and don’t feel I should have to have one).

Deborah Reply:

Mike, you do not need a fancy pasta maker. I’ll try and do a video or step by step photos for making pasta by hand soon. Your pasta should be smooth before you start rolling, and you need to let the pasta rest 30 minutes before you start as well. If you keep the dough lightly floured, and keep turning it 1/4 turn as you roll it really is quite easy. Once you get it down once, it is a snap to do it!

Heather Greene-Smith Reply:

I have found that eggs purchased from a grocery store are totally different than farm fresh eggs. When I make fresh pasta with grocery store eggs, I have to use more egg yolks. In fact I’ve gone as high as six egg yolks besides the two eggs. I also let my pasta rest for four hours wrapped in saran wrap right on the counter before rolling out. It is always soft and pliable when I roll it out. Hope you try it again. Make sure the dough is just to the point of not being tacky before you let it rest. Satiny is a good word to describe the texture, just like the recipe says.

10. 10
    Babs — September 24, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

Tried it, wasn’t a perfect experience, but will definitely continue to practice and improve my handmade noodle making abilities. The lasagna was delish with garden fresh, thinly sliced zucchinis and homemade tomato sauce. Yum, now to make more homemade mozzarella!! A new rolling pin is on my acquire list, or maybe a kitchen aide for Christmas? Thanks for this beautiful and simple post.

Deborah Reply:

Babs, pasta making becomes easier with practice!

11. 11
    Gail — November 21, 2013 @ 12:31 am

Can I make the noodles and assemble the lasagna without parboiling the noodles. I want to freeze it for a week before cooking it for Thanksgiving? It would be a veggie lasagna.

Deborah Reply:

Gail, I always parboil my noodles before assembling, even when I freeze my lasagna. I do not cook them completely, but just to soften them. Also, if freezing, addextra sauce as the noodles seem to suck up more sauce once frozen.