We recently discovered an amazing trattoria that specializes in truffles just outside of Gubbio that we have now visited a couple of times already. At this restaurant you can order an entire three course menu all featuring truffles that is simply amazing and one of my favorite items on their menu is this frittata with black truffles.
When I taste anything this good, I usually have to come home a replicate it for myself in my own kitchen which is what I did with this recipe. This egg dish is more of a soft scrambled one than a traditional frittata that is never stirred, and you do need one decent sized fresh black truffle to make a plate of eggs that would serve two people as a main course.
Half the truffle is grated and mixed with oil, garlic, salt and pepper to make a sauce that is folded into the eggs as they cook, and the other half is reserved for shaving on top of the eggs before serving. The truffle sauce can be made the night before and stored covered overnight in the refrigerator.
- 6 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Black Truffle (About 1 1/2 Inches In Diameter)
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive OIl
- 1/2 Garlic Clove, Finely Minced
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Use a small hole grater and grate half the truffle into a small bowl.
- Add the garlic, oil and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Beat the eggs together with the milk and pour this mixture into a hot non-stick skillet.
- Cook until almost set, then spoon the sauce over the eggs and gently fold to mix.
- Let the eggs continue to cook until completely cooked through.
- Divide the eggs onto two plates and then use a truffle or cheese slice to gently shave the remainder of the truffle on top of the eggs.
- Serve immediately.