Canned beans are a great pantry staple for busy folks as you can quickly turn them into a tasty soup or salad such as this one. I always have a couple cans of beans in my cupboard and I have a couple of favorite brands that I know are never mushy when opened. This salad can be varied depending on your mood, but I through my version together for my husband for lunch last week using up some vegetables in my refrigerator. You can use cucumbers in place of the zucchini, and raw fennel is always a nice addition as well. For the fresh herbs, I used mint, basil, garlic chives and parsley, but feel free to use whichever fresh herbs you prefer.
Deborah Mele 2012
Lemon Herb Chickpea Salad
Herbs and lemon add a freshness to this quick and easy salad made with canned chickpeas.
- 2 Cans (14 Ounce) Chickpeas, Drained & Rinsed
- 1 Small Red Onion, Peeled & Finely Diced
- 2 Small Zucchini, Ends Trimmed & Finely Diced
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Fresh Herbs (See Note Above)
- Zest From 1 Lemon
- Juice From 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive OIl
- Salt & Pepper
- Place the beans, onions, zucchini, and herbs in a bowl and toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the beans and mix well.