We spent the Easter weekend with my son and his family and when we are all together the topic of conversation is usually about food. We spent time on Saturday planning our Easter lunch menu, and then headed out to shop for all our needed ingredients. Both of my kids grew up helping in the kitchen, and now as adults they are both excellent cooks. This is quite helpful when we get together for holidays as we divide up the menu and each tackle our own dishes. My son wanted Brussels sprouts included in our menu so he added them to his list of chores. He blanched them first, then seared them until they were golden brown and tossed them with onions, garlic, and bacon. Along with Glazed Ham, Scalloped Potatoes, Roasted Turnips, and Lemon & Berry Tiramisu, we had a lovely meal that was enjoyed by everyone, and these Brussles sprouts were absolutely delicious!
Deborah Mele 2013
- 1/4 Pound Thickly Sliced Lean Bacon, Cut Into Thin Strips
- 1 Sweet Onion, Peeled & Diced
- 5 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Thinly Sliced
- Coarse Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
- 4 Pounds Brussels Sprouts, Stem End Trimmed
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic, reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes, then remove to a plate.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch the Brussels sprouts until barely tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the sprouts, then slice in half.
- Heat the oil in the skillet, and cook the sprouts cut side down over medium heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Shake the pan, and add the bacon and onions mixture, stirring well.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes to lightly brown the rest of the sprouts.
- Season with salt and pepper, then place in large bowl and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 544 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 23g Cholesterol: 75mg Sodium: 1391mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 8g Protein: 34g