If you have been following my recent recipe postings, you’ll probably realize that I have just experienced our yearly fig explosion and though it is a short season, when the figs ripen, they do so quickly and all at once. So……I canned fig jam and fig and apple tart filling to use next year, I made fig tarts, fig cake, fig bread, fig pizza, and LOTS of fig salads. The great thing about a fresh fig, is that there is little work to prepare it before eating. Simply trim off the stem, slice open and enjoy!
In this quick and easy salad, I paired figs with ripe pairs, baby greens, and slivered almonds that were lightly toasted. I dressed the salad in a light lemon and honey vinaigrette that I added just a little Dijon mustard to in order to give it a little vibrancy. If you wanted to embellish this salad further, either goat cheese or blue cheese crumbles would be tasty, as would some crispy pancetta or prosciutto bits.
When using fresh fruit such as pears or apples in a salad, it is best to dip them in a little lemon water so they do not discolor when sliced. Since baby greens are so delicate, rather than dressing them first as I do most salads, I simply arrange the salad attractively on my plates and then drizzle the dressing on just before serving so the greens do not wilt. To toast the almonds, simply place them on a baking sheet in an oven preheat to 350 degrees until lightly browned.
- 5 Cups Baby Greens
- 6 Fresh Ripe Figs, Stem Ends Removed & Cut Into Quarters
- 2 Ripe Pears, Cored & Cut Into Slices
- Juice From 1/2 Lemon Mixed with 1/3 Cup Water
- 1/3 Cup Lightly Toasted Slivered Almonds
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- Arrange the greens on four small plates, then add the figs.
- Dip the pear slices into the lemon water, then add them to the salad.
- Sprinkle the salad with the toasted walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lemon, oil, mustard, salt and pepper until blended, then lightly drizzle some over each salad.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 167mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 15gSugar: 29gProtein: 9g