I am presently buying beets, carrots, and apples on a weekly basis as I use them to make my raw veggie and fruit juices. As much as I love my juices, there are times though when I really want something solid to crunch on, and for this, I often turn to salads. Although you might not ususally consider using raw beets in salads, when cut fine enough they are delicious. I bought a Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer last year and have really enjoyed using it for salads such as this one. I simply cut my beets, carrots and apples using the spiralizer, then toss them together with some pea shoots, chopped parsley, and sunflower seeds. The spiralizer is also very handy for cutting those zucchini noodles or “zoodles” everyone is talking about that many folks are using in place of pasta.
To dress this salad, I used a blend of orange and lemon juice whisked together with olive oil, salt and pepper. This salad had everything I love in a salad; lots of colors, crunch, texture, and flavor! If you do not have a spiralizer, you could simply use a small sharp knife and cut into matchsticks by hand, use the coarse holes of a box grater, or the shredding accessory on a food processor. This salad is very satisfying and due to the ready availability of the ingredients, it can be enjoyed year round. I would advise that you use gloves when working with the raw beets as otherwise your hands will get stained red which isn’t that easy to remove.
Deborah Mele 2015
Beet, Apple & Carrot Salad
- 1 Pound Red Beets, Peeled
- 3 Large Carrots, Peeled
- 1 Large Granny Smith Apple, Peeled
- 4 Ounces Pea Shoots (Or Micro Greens)
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Lightly Toasted Sunflower Seeds
- Zest And Juice From 1 Orange
- Zest And Juice From 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Use any of the methods described above to cut or grate the beets, carrots, and apples.
- Place the cut ingredients into a bowl with the parsley, pea shoots, and sunflower seeds and gently toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and then pour over the salad.
- Toss to mix, then serve.