When it comes to cookies, for me they have to be buttery and crisp. I have never been a big fan of soft pillowy cookies, or those sweetened with icing. I like spice or nut cookies, but my very favorite cookie is a delicate butter or shortbread cookie. These cookies are great with my morning cappuccino, as an afternoon pick-me-up, or as I relax on the couch after a busy day with a cup of lavender tea. These cookies are a basic butter or shortbread cookie flavored with lemon zest and fresh thyme. We have fresh herbs growing in pots all over our property, and I love to incorporate them into my baking whenever possible. I wouldn’t use dried thyme if fresh is not available, but chopped fresh rosemary is a good replacement. If using rosemary, the lemon zest is not even necessary.
Though these cookies are delicate to handle when warm, once fully cooked you can package them for the freezer, so do consider baking a double batch because they are very addictive! You can use any simple cookie cutter to make these cookies. I used a small glass, then used a cookie press in the shape of a honeycomb to give them texture. These cookies will keep well for up to a week in an airtight container.
Deborah Mele 2016
Lemon Thyme Butter Cookies
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Chopped Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour, salt, thyme leaves and lemon zest, and beat on low speed just until blended.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured counter, and roll out to 1/3 of an inch thickness.
- Use cookie cutter of choice and place the cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 to 14 minutes or just until they begin to color along the edges.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Store in an airtight container.