I have had a neat little meatball grill basket for the past two years and never used it. Our outdoor grill here in the new house is so easy to use that I have been doing a lot more grilling this summer than in recent years and my grill basket has finally been getting lots of use. I first tested out this recipe on my family one Sunday lunch. I was grilling steak and thought I’d also try out a lamb meatball recipe that I had in mind for a while. I actually made a lot more meatballs than necessary thinking that I’d eat the leftovers over the next few days, but these meatballs were so good that my family gobbled them down and I had not a single meatball leftover at the end of the meal.
This meatball recipe may sound like something you would enjoy in Greece or Morocco, but I gave it an Italian flair using typical Italian seasonings and flavored the yogurt sauce with chopped basil and parsley. If you wanted to change up the sauce and serve one more characteristic of Greece, use chopped dill in place of the basil and parsley. Since these meatballs were such a hit with my family, I ended up making them three more times this summer and each and every time I didn’t have a single one left. If you are not a big fan of lamb, you could use veal or even beef instead. The only trick to preparing these meatballs is not to overcook them. You want them juicy, not dry! If you need to, you can always cut into one to see if it is cooked to your desired doneness. If you do not have this nifty meatball grill basket, you can use bamboo or metal skewers to cook the meatballs. If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water a couple of hours before using so that they do not catch fire. Place three to four meatballs on each skewer before grilling. Any leftovers (if you have any) can be gently rewarmed in a low oven or the microwave.
Deborah Mele 2018
- 1 1/4 Pound Ground Lamb
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1/3 Cup Soft Breadcrumbs
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Olive Oil For Grilling
- 1 Cup Full Fat Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- 3/4 Cup Finely Chopped Cucumber
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 Medium Tomato, Seeded, Cored & Finely Chopped (Optional)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the meatball ingredients with your hands until well blended.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt sauce ingredients and then refrigerate until needed.
- Using your hands, shape the meat into 10 to 12 meatballs.
- If using a meatball grill basket, oil the basket and place the meatballs inside.
- If using skewers, lightly oil the meatballs, and then place three on each skewer.
- Grill the meatballs 3 to 4 minutes per side until nicely browned on the exterior but still moist inside.
- Transfer meatballs to a platter and serve hot with the sauce on the side.