The trick to this sauce is simply to use the best ingredients possible, and if your tomatoes do not taste great right out of the can, find another brand. Since this sauce is so simple, a good quality can of crushed tomatoes is essential. In the US, I buy only Pomi brand tomatoes.
The Pomi tomatoes you find in a box which is a little less than 28 ounces. Many groceries today do sell imported tomatoes, but certainly if you can’t find them in your local grocery, an Italian specialty store will stock them.
Many cooks will tell you they add a pinch of sugar or honey to their tomato sauce to enhance the sweetnes, but if you use good quality tomatoes, that really isn’t necessary. If you are stuck using a no name brand from your local grocery however, you might try a pinch of sugar to improve the flavor.
I make this sauce often for everything from pizza to pasta, though I often add a pinch of dried oregano to my pizza sauce. This sauce is delicious and has a fresh, clean taste that goes well with almost anything. You can change the flavor by adding a little chopped onion in with the garlic, or some red pepper flakes for a bit of spice.
- 1 (28 Ounce Can) Imported Diced Italian Tomatoes (Or 1 26.5 Ounce Box Pomi Brand Chopped Tomatoes)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Decrease To 1 Tablespoon If Wanting To Make A Lower Fat Version)
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Basil
- Dash Of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, and add the garlic.
- As soon as the garlic begins to sizzle, but before it takes on color, add the tomatoes.
- Turn the heat to high, and as soon as the sauce begins to bubble, turn back down to medium low.
- Season with salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes if you are using them, and add the basil.
- Cook for another minute of two and remove from the heat.
- Use for any purpose that you would use your usual tomato sauce, whether it is to top pasta, in baked casseroles or for vegetables.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 42mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g