This is a simple recipe created by sauteeing tender artichokes with fava beans in a little olive oil and white wine which allows the subtle flavor of these two vegetables to shine through. If you have never tasted fava beans before, they have a buttery texture, slight bitterness and a subtle, nutty flavor.
Both these vegetables are best eaten fresh but since they are both spring vegetables and their availability is limited, they can be bought frozen year round. If using very small artichokes as I have in the photo. leave whole. If using larger artichokes, cut in half and remove the choke.
- 12 - 14 Small or 6 Medium Artichokes
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
- 1 Pound Fava Beans, Shelled And Peeled (See Cooks Tip Below)
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Chopped Parsley
- In a saute pan, warm the olive oil and add the artichokes, turning them to coat them well with the oil.
- Add the wine and garlic, and season with the salt and pepper.
- Stir to mix well, and simmer over low heat until the artichokes are almost fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the fava bean, and cook on low heat another 6 - 7 minutes.
- Taste to ensure the fava beans are cooked, and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the parsley to the mixture in the pot, mix well and serve warm.
Cooks Tip: Keep the artichokes in a lemon water bath until you are ready to cook them to prevent discoloration. If you find it takes you a fairly long time to clean them, rub a lemon half over the exposed edges until you can get it into the prepared water bath. To clean fava beans, first remove the pod by slitting it down one side. Remove the beans and peel. To peel easily, blanch the shelled beans in boiling water for only 30 seconds, and then plunge into an ice bath. Peel the beans by simply pinching each bean. It will easily slip out from the skin.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 735mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 23gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g