This is another family favorite that is great year round. You could vary it by adding a thin slice of prosciutto on top of the chicken and under the spinach. I would serve this dish on top of soft polenta, or with garlic mashed potatoes on the side.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 8 oz. Fresh Spinach
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Cups Prepared Tomato Sauce (Or Your Favorite Homemade Sauce)
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- Rinse the spinach in water, dry and coarsely chop, then place the spinach in a medium saucepan with 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Cook until it is wilted, remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are an even thickness of about 3/4 inches.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper, and dredge the chicken breasts into this mixture until they are lightly coated.
- In a large frying pan that will hold all of the chicken breasts, melt the remaining butter, with the oil until hot.
- Cook the chicken breasts until they are browned on each side, about 4 minutes per side.
- Top the chicken with the reserved spinach, dividing evenly, and then top each with a slice of mozzarella.
- Carefully pour the tomato sauce into the skillet around the meat, being careful not to cover it.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat until bubbling, and then reduce the heat and simmer about 12 to 15 minutes more.
- Serve hot.