Fennel is a very crunchy, fresh vegetable with a mild licorice flavor. Delicious baked or eaten raw, it can be prepared in a variety of ways. This simple salad recipe uses thinly shaved fennel, lightly dressed with a citrus vinaigrette.
Chopped fennel fronds and buttery toasted pine nuts are also included to add interesting texture to the plate. This dish is very refreshing and is perfect before a heavy second course, but serve soon after preparing so the fennel remains crisp!
- 2 Fresh Fennel Bulbs
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt And Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Lightly Toasted Pine Nuts
- Wash the fennel bulbs, and remove the outer layer if it appears old or withered.
- Cut off the tops, retaining just the bulbs and some of the leafy fronds.
- Next cut each bulb in half, and cut out the core, then using a mandolin, or a very sharp knife, thinly slice the fennel into a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, add the zest and juice of both the orange and the lemon.
- Chop about 1/2 cup of the leafy fronds and add to the citrus.
- Add the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and pour over the sliced fennel, then add the pine nuts and toss until the fennel is lightly coated.
- Divide the mixture onto plates and drizzle over each plate any remaining dressing in the bowl.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g