The addition of olive oil creates a moist, rich cake that is delicious served for dessert with fresh fruit, or at breakfast with a cup of coffee. It isn’t too sweet, but has a dense texture that stores well. La Cucina Italiana magazine reports that extra virgin olive oil is the most digestible of all the edible fats. It also helps to assimilate vitamins A, D and K, helps bile, liver and intestinal functions, as well as helping to assimilate vitamins A, D and K.
The characteristics of specific olive oils are determined by many factors, including the variety of olive, climate, growing conditions, harvesting methods as well as the method used for pressing. Olive oil differs from other cooking oils in that it is the only oil that has a limitless variety of flavors to choose from.
They run the gamut from light and fruity, to robust and full-flavored, to buttery and delicate. It is said you should choose your olive much like you would choose your wine. Choose a light fruity olive oil for this cake recipe.
Called liquid gold by many throughout history, olive oil has played an important part in the lives of the Mediterranean people. Today, olive oil is the basis for much of Italian cooking; used in sauces, sauteing, grilling and even as a condiment drizzled over dishes at the table. Well respected for their full, fruity flavors, Italian extra virgin olive oils are considered to be the best in the world, particularly those from Tuscany and Abruzzi.
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 3 3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- Powdered Sugar To Serve
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Prepare 2 (9 inch) cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs and the sugar.
- When well blended add the oil, milk, lemon juice and zest and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add this mixture to the eggs, and stir just until blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool and remove from the pan.
- Dust the cakes with powdered sugar and serve with fresh fruit.