Every week when pizza night rolls around in our house we begin to plan the type of pizzas we will make depending on who will be dining with us that evening. My daughter-in-law loves vegetables, so we always create a vegetable pizza for her, changing it from time to time depending on what vegetables are available.
Traditional Italian pizza generally does not have a lot of heavy toppings as seen on commercial pizzas in North America, and although we do use a number of different vegetables on this pizza we use only a minimal amount of cheese which keeps it light.
You can add just about any vegetable combination you prefer on this pizza and get a great tasting pizza. You do need to precook the vegetables first though, as the pizza only cooks for minutes. Also, be sure to drain your vegetables well after cooking them to prevent your pizza getting soggy. To cook the vegetables, you can either saute them on the stove top, grill them, or roast them in the oven.
Pizza Before Baking
Deborah Mele 2011
You can top your pizza with whatever vegetables you prefer.
- 2 Pizza Dough Balls (See My Pizza Dough Recipe)
- 2 Cups Prepared Tomato Sauce
- 2 Cups Full Fat Cubed Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups Sauteed Spinach, Pressed Dry
- 1 Small Eggplant, Sliced And Grilled And Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- 2 Roasted Sweet Peppers, Cut Into Strips
- 2 Small Zucchini, Sliced And Grilled
- 4 Ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms Sauteed Until Tender
- 2 Tablespoons Capers
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped, Pitted Black Olives (Kalamata)
- Preheat oven to the highest setting and place a pizza stone in the oven for at least 30 minutes.
- Making one pizza at a time, shape your pizza dough into a 12 inch circle and place it on a pizza peel lightly sprinkled with corn meal.
- On each pizza, spread one cup of the prepared tomato sauce on top, and then arrange the vegetables evenly over the sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with half of the capers, olives, and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the crust has become lightly browned and the cheese bubbly.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot.