Another traditional nut paste cookie made with ground almonds, this version has a soft, chewy center.
Deborah Mele 2011
Yield: Makes 2 Dozen
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
An amaretti cookie with a soft center.
- 2 Cups Blanched Almonds
- 1 Cup Superfine Or Powdered Sugar
- 2-3 Egg Whites
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- Grind the almond to a fine powder with the sugar in a food processor.
- Add the almond extract to the almonds.
- Slowly add the egg whites, one at a time until the dough comes together.
- Use only as much of the egg whites as it takes to moisten the dough.
- Using moist hands, take small pieces and form into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Place these on a parchment or lightly greased baking sheet.
- Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Bake the cookies for about 25 to 30 minutes. or until lightly golden in color.
- Let cool thoroughly, and store in airtight containers.
Just to say thanks for the soft amaretti recipe. I love these and havealways wanted to make my own. Great recipe with great results.
Can I use store bought almond meal instead of grinding the almonds myself? If so, what would be the equivalent amount? I assume its less than the 2 cups whole.
Certainly, store bought almond meal is fine and I’d substitute it equally.