This is certainly not a traditional Italian biscotti recipe, but the combination of lemon and poppy seed is delicious. These biscotti store well if kept in an airtight container, but will become harder the longer you keep them.
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Lemon Zest
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 2 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 4 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon zest, poppy seeds, lemon extract, baking powder, and baking soda and mix until combined.
- Add the eggs and mix.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the electric mixer.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half, then shape into two 7 x 3 inch rolls.
- Place rolls on an ungreased cookie sheet, flattening each slightly.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven about 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpic inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on cookie sheet on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Cut each roll crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices using a serrated knife.
- Arrange the slices flat on the cooled cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 8 minutes; turn slices and bake about 5 minutes more or until surfaces are crisp and light brown.
- Remove biscotti from cookie sheet, cool on a wire rack.