We love seafood of just about any type, but swordfish happens to be a family favorite. I was looking for some new way to prepare a beautiful piece of swordfish we recently bought and decided to cut it into pieces and grill it on skewers. I cut the swordfish into 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch squares and sat looking at them for a while, wondering if I really wanted to grill them. That initial plan changed when I next decided to use some leftover homemade breadcrumbs I had in the refrigerator that were seasoned with parsley, lemon rind and chopped red chile pepper. Once breaded I finally decided to simply pan fry them and serve with fresh lemon wedges. The swordfish nuggets were delicious, and although I prefer them with just a little squeeze of lemon juice on them, they would also be delicious with a caper picante sauce, a salsa verde, or even a mayonnaise based dipping sauce. These tasty tidbits would be a great addition to a seafood platter along with deep fried shrimp and calamari.
Homemade breadcrumbs really are an essential ingredient in this dish, and although the crisp coating does help to keep the swordfish morsels moist, just be careful not to cook them too long. You really need to cut one of the nuggets in half to test for doneness while you are cooking them, and the fish should be just slightly undercooked in the center when you take them off the heat. For the best results, your swordfish should be at least 1 inch thick.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 1/2 Pounds Of Swordfish 1 1/2 Inch Thick
- 2 Cups Homemade Breadcrumbs
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- 1/2 Fresh Red Chile Pepper, Finely Chopped (Optional)
- 2 Teaspoons Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Zest
- 2 Eggs
- 4 to 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Lemon Wedges
- Cut the swordfish into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, chile pepper, lemon zest, and parsley, then season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the two eggs with a fork until frothy.
- Dip the swordfish nuggets first into the eggs, then roll in the breadcrumbs pressing lightly to ensure the crumbs adhere well to all of the sides.
- Once all of the nuggets are breaded, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook the nuggets until they are golden brown, and just barely cooked through inside.
- Place the nuggets on a platter with the wedges and serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 732Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 226mgSodium: 743mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 51g