I debated whether to add this into my recipe collection as it is so simple that it is difficult to describe it as a recipe. This is another dish that typifies what Italian cuisine is all about as it is very simple with just a few ingredients, but every ingredient needs to be the best. I normally do not buy heirloom tomatoes as they are too expensive when local grown tomatoes are readily available and much more affordable, but I was shopping in Whole Foods and spotted a clerk stocking a counter with gorgeous big heirloom tomatoes of every color. I could not resist buying a couple of these wonderful tomatoes for lunch and used them to make this attractive salad.
When you have really flavorful, ripe tomatoes, you do not need a lot of extra ingredients, but the addition of a few well chosen items will turn these tomatoes into a salad that is memorable. I simply sliced the tomatoes and placed them on some baby mixed greens, and added some thinly sliced red onions. To dress this salad I used my special extra virgin olive oil, a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar, cracked black pepper and coarse sea salt. To serve I tear some fresh herbs on top of the tomatoes as well as some crumbled goat cheese. Delicious!
Deborah Mele 2011
- 4 Large Heirloom Tomatoes
- Mixed Baby Greens
- 1 Small Red Onion, Peeled And Thinly Sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Fresh Herbs Of Choice (Parsley & Basil Work Well)
- Small Log Of Goat Cheese
- Place a handful of the mixed greens on four separate plates.
- Slice the tomatoes, and divide them between the four plates arranging them attractively on the greens with the sliced onions.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar on top of the tomatoes and then sprinkle with sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Tear the fresh herbs into small pieces and scatter over the tomatoes.
- Crumble some goat cheese onto each plate and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 196mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 6g Protein: 5g