This dish actually started out as a basic Chicken Cacciatore dish but evolved instead into a delicious meaty chicken ragu sauce that I served on fresh pasta. In this recipe, tender, succulent chicken thighs are cooked in a rich, robust tomato sauce until they fall off of the bone.
I decided to keep the sauce on the lighter side so I used a dry white wine, but if you used a hearty red wine the sauce would be quite different in flavor yet also delicious. Serve this sauce on your fresh pasta of choice….. I used fettuccine in my version, but pappardelle works really well also.
- 6 Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Celery Stalk, Chopped
- 2 Carrots, Peeled And Chopped
- 1 Cup Dry White or Red Wine
- 1 (28 oz) Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Pinch Of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Pound Fresh Pasta (Pappardelle or Fettuccine)
- Rinse the chicken thighs, and then pat dry.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and brown the chicken thighs well on both sides.
- Remove the chicken pieces to a plate.
- Add the carrots, onions and celery to the pan drippings, and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook another minute or two.
- Add the chicken thighs back into the skillet, and then add the wine.
- Cook on medium heat until it has evaporated by half.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, and seasonings.
- Simmer, on low heat, covered for about 1 1/2 to two hours, or until the meat begins to fall off of the bones.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pan, and pull the meat off of the bones and chop coarsely.
- Return the chicken back to the pan and bring the sauce mixture to a boil.
- Cook a few minutes until it has reduced and thickened.
- Serve hot on your fresh pasta of choice!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 271mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g