This is another easy dish that can be put together quickly and baked when needed. Chopped vegetables are placed in a casserole dish with sausage links on top. As the dish roasts, the sausages brown and release their juices which runs down into the vegetables which helps them soften and thicken into a sauce.
Another advantage to this recipe is that you only use one dish to prepare and cook both the sausages and their sauce. A busy Mom could quickly put this dish together in the morning, pop it into the refrigerator for the day, and then simply bake it once all the family was home together.
You could either use mild or spicy Italian sausages in this recipe, but it really pays to use top quality sausages from the butcher for the best results. I often add a little finely chopped hot red pepper in my vegetable mix as well as use spicy sausages since we like recipes with a little heat. Be sure to offer good crusty bread with this dish to sop up the delicious juices!
- 2 Pints Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Red Pepper, Cored And Diced Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 1 Small Onion, Peeled, And Diced Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled And Minced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Herbs (Parsley, Basil, or Oregano Are A Great Combination)
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 8 Italian Sausage Links
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and toss them together with the onions, peppers, garlic, fresh herbs, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Place the vegetables in the bottom of a baking pan or casserole dish, then place the sausage links on top of the vegetables and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Turn the sausages and prick them with a fork and return to the oven for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through and are golden brown.
- Spoon some of the tomato mixture unto a serving platter and cut the sausages into three pieces diagonally.
- Place the sausages on the tomatoes and serve hot.