Salvia Fritta ~ Choose large, very fresh leaves for this recipe. Either offer them along with a nice glass of red wine, or use as a garnish for grilled meats or seafood.
- 24 Large Sage Leaves
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- Dash Of Salt And Pepper
- Canola For Deep Frying
- Rinse sage leaves and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a bowl, beat the egg until well mixed, then add in the water and mix.
- Sift the flour onto a large plate with the salt and pepper.
- Pour the oil in a pot to a depth of about 1 inch, and heat until it reaches 375 degrees F.
- Once the oil is hot, dip the leaves into the egg mixture individually, and allow the excess to drain off.
- Coat with the flour mixture, carefully drop into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. (Be careful not to let them brown too much.)
- Remove from the oil, and let dry on paper towels.
- Continue with the remaining leaves until they have all been fried.
- Once they are finished, sprinkle lightly with salt, and serve immediately while still warm.