Minestrone is the perfect soup for any day of the year since you can make it with a variety of seasonal vergetables, but for day 6 of Soup Week, I’m sharing my Winter Minestrone, a hearty, traditional soup chock full of healthy vegetables. Add a crisp green salad and some crusty bread for a complete meal. This is one soup that you can use almost any fresh vegetable you prefer and get great results, although the vegetables listed below are commonly found in the fall and winter. To serve you can ladle the hot soup over slices of grilled garlic bread, drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil, or drizzle with pesto oil as I have suggested below.
Deborah Mele 2011
This soup is so full of healthy vegetables it is like a multivitamin in a bowl!
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 Carrots, Peeled & Chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 2 Celery Stalks, Chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Cups Chopped Greens Such As Spinach or Kale
- 2 Small Zucchini, Cut Into 1 Inch Cubes
- 1 Large Potato, Peeled And Cut Into 1 1/2 Inch Cubes
- 4 Cups Butternut Squash, Peeled And Cut Into 1 1/2 Inch Cubes
- 1 (14 Ounce) Can Peeled, Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Quart Homemade Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 (14 Ounce) Can Cannellini Beans
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper
- 5 Tablespoons Pesto Mixed With 5 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Grated Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil, then saute the onion, celery, carrots and garlic until soft, then add the potatoes, zucchini, butternut squash, tomatoes, greens, and broth, and mix together.
- Ensure the vegetables are covered by liquid by at least 1 to 2 inches, adding water to cover the vegetables if needed.
- Bring to a boil, and then cook for about 20 to 30 minutes over low heat until vegetables are tender.
- Add the parsley, basil, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add the cannellini beans, and chopped greens, cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve warm, with a drizzle of the pesto oil mixture on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 699Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 629mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 17gSugar: 8gProtein: 37g