We are nearing the end of summer and it seems those zucchini in the garden just keep on coming. I decided to do something a little different with my last bunch of garden zucchini and made these delicious zucchini fritters. While not exactly low calorie, as long as you keep the oil hot enough the fritters will not absorb too much oil. These fritters are light and delicious and VERY addictive so make lots! We usually use a canola or safflower oil for frying. Olive oil is really not suitable.
Deborah Mele 2011
A great way to use up large sized zucchini from the garden.
- 2 Medium Zucchini, Trimmed & Grated & Drained
- 3 Green Onion (Scallions) Chopped
- 2 Eggs
- Salt & Pepper
- 6 to 7 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 (6 Ounce) Container Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Chives
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Thyme
- To Make The Optional Yogurt Sauce: Mix the yogurt with the salt, pepper, and herbs and let sit in the refrigerator 30 minutes before using to allow flavors to meld.
- To Make The Fritters: Mix together the grated zucchini, onion, eggs, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, cheese, and baking powder into a bowl, and stir to mix well.
- Add 6 tablespoons of flour and mix.
- Add the additional tablespoon of flour if mixture is still very wet.
- Heat a large frying pan sprayed with olive oil spray over medium heat.
- Once hot, drop heaping tablespoons of the batter into the pan flattening each slightly wit the back of the spoon.
- Cook about 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Remove to a heated platter and continue to cook the remaining pancakes in the same manner.
- Serve warm with yogurt sauce, or sauce of choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 3 fritters
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 436mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 11g
Although I am not a great fan of zucchini, but these zucchini fritters look really good. I guess, I should give this one a try and see how it comes out. Thanks for sharing!