Although I enjoy the flavor of all roasted vegetables, I find roasting beets in their skins is the best way to cook them as it brings out their natural sweetness. I often roast beets and eat them simply drizzled with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, but there are times when I want to dress them up a little as in this salad recipe.
We can find bunches of both red and golden yellow beets at our local farmer’s market and I love the contrast in colors you get by using both. I added walnuts candied with maple syrup, as well as goat cheese crumbles to complete this salad. To dress the salad, I drizzled it with a zesty mustard honey vinaigrette with chopped chives. This salad is great for entertaining as it can be prepared ahead of time and then dressed just before serving.
- 8 to 9 Small to Medium red And Yellow Beets
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Cup Walnut Halves
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 Ounces Goat Cheese
- 1/4 Cup White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Clove Honey
- 3/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Chives
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the beets and place in an oven-proof casserole dish, then bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Allow to cool, then cut off each end and peel.
- To prepare the walnuts, heat the butter until sizzling in a frying pan over medium heat and then add walnuts.
- Cook the walnuts for about 2 minutes, shaking the pan a few times while they cook.
- Add the maples syrup and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the dressing, add all of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- To assemble the salad, slice the beets and arrange them attractively onto four plates.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and crumble the goat cheese over the beets.
- Whisk the dressing once more, and then drizzle some of the dressing over each plate.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 680Total Fat: 65gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 50gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 318mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 8g