I love fava beans and buy them buy the bag full at our local market when they are fresh each spring. Unfortunately though, the season is now over for fresh fava beans but I have found some frozen ones at our local grocery stores that are just about as good as the fresh ones.
The frozen ones I buy are very small, so I do not even have to peel them, but if you are using larger fava beans, either fresh or frozen, I’d advise peeling them before assembling this recipe. To peel, simply drop the podded beans in boiling water for a couple of minutes, drain and then run cold water over them. Use a sharp small knife to cut a slit into the skin and simply squeeze gently to pop the bean out of it’s skin.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 Pound Finely Diced Pancetta (I Prefer Unsmoked In This Recipe)
- 1 Small Onion, Peeled And Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 1/2 Pounds Fresh or Frozen Podded Fava Beans (About 4 cups)
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- Salt & Pepper
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the pancetta and onion over medium heat until the pancetta is lightly browned and the onions soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the wine, fava beans, and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g