When you are making a number of appetizers for a party, family get-together, or a wine tasting as we do weekly, you need a few that are easy to assemble, can be prepared a head of time, and that still taste great. I think just about anything that is rolled inside a sweet roasted pepper probably tastes pretty darn good, but I like to roll peppers around marinated pecorino cheese cubes. I can cut the cubes of medium aged pecorino in the morning and then marinate them in spices and olive oil all day. I can also roast and peel my peppers early in the day, and then assemble the rolls an hour or two before serving. All you need are basic toothpicks to secure them and you are set to go. Because they are so colorful, I generally nestle a bowl of these tidbits onto a platter with another appetizer for added interest on the table. I choose a medium aged pecorino which isn’t too hard or strong tasting, but you could choose any medium firm cheese you prefer such as an asiago.
Pecorino Pepper Rolls On A Platter Of Mini Quiche
Roasted Pepper Rolls Look Pretty On Any Table!
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 Block Of Medium Firm Pecorino Cheese (1/3 Pound)
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Capers
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Hot Chili Flakes
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Large Red Peppers
- Preheat the broiler.
- Wash and dry the peppers, cut off the tops, cut in half, and remove seeds and membranes.
- Place on a baking sheet and put under the broiler until the skin is blackened and blistered.
- Place them in a plastic bag and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove the skin (it should slip right off at this point), and cut into strips 1 inch wide.
- Set aside until needed.
- Cut the cheese into 3/4 inch cubes and place into a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, oregano, red pepper flakes, capers, salt & pepper.
- Toss to mix, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- An hour or two before serving, simply wrap each cheese cube with a strip of roasted pepper and secure with a toothpick.
- Place in a bowl and once all are assembled, pour the remaining marinade on top.
- To serve arrange in a bowl or platter with toothpick handle up, and serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 2 rolls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 80mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 1g