We love to serve different types of bruschetta when we are hosting our wine tasting evenings with our farmhouse guests in Umbria, and my bruschetta selections change as the seasons do. This fall, I began to make this tasty bruschetta which begins with creamy gorgonzola cheese being spread on grilled bread slices, which is then topped with a little spiced fig jam and some caramelized sweet onions. I tried a gorgonzola dolce, which is a rich, creamy cheese with a subtle blue cheese flavor, and gorgonzola picante which is much firmer and sharper, and found that I prefer the creamy type which doesn’t overpower the onions and fig jam. Although I use my own Spiced Fig Jam, you can use any good quality fig jam you prefer.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 2 Medium Sweet Onions, Peeled & Sliced Thin
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Spiced Fig Jam (Or Fig Jam Of Choice)
- 4 Ounces Creamy Gorgonzola Cheese (Gorgonzola Dolce)
- 8 Slices Crusty Baguette
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottom skillet and then cook the onions, stirring often until they are golden brown
- and very soft, about 25 minutes.
- Season the onions with salt and pepper.
- Either grill or broil the bread slices until they are light brown on both sides.
- Spread each slice of bread with some of the gorgonzola cheese, then add about a teaspoonful of fig jam.
- Top each slice with some of the caramelized onions, then arrange on a platter and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 2 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 611Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 1206mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 4gSugar: 17gProtein: 22g