Unlike the traditional Italian biscotti which are hard enough to dunk into a cup of coffee, this recipe creates a crisp cookie that is delicious but not suitable for dipping. Cranberry and orange is one of my favorite flavor combinations and it works exceptionally well in this recipe. Store these cookies in an airtight container for up to a week, or freeze for up to a month.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 6 Tablespoons Soft Butter
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- Dash Of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1 Cup Pine Nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter and sgar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, salt, vanilla, orange juice and zest and mix.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix with a wooden spoon just until combined.
- Add the cranberries and pine nuts and fold into the dough.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet and then shape the dough into one log about 4 to 5 inches wide with wet hands.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the center is just about firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes leaving the oven on.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the log into 1/2 slices.
- Place the slices flat onto the baking sheet and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.