At harvest time, many Italian women cure bright green, bitter olives in salt water, to be eaten later throughout the winter. This is a simple family recipe that yields about 10 large jars of olives.
- 1 Case Green Olives
- 1 Jar Of Cured Olives
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled And Sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- Dash Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- Crack the olives, and place in an old, clean pillow case.
- Drop the olive filled case into a pail filled with cold water, ensuring the water covers the olives.
- Change the water twice daily for three days.
- Measure 10 large jars of water into a large pot.
- Add 30 tablespoons of salt to this pot, and stir to combine.
- Bring the water to a boil, and then let it cool.
- Drain the olives from the pail, and fill the jars with the olives, adding an additional tablespoon of salt to each jar.
- Add the salt water to each jar, covering the olives.
- Seal the jars, and let them sit for one month.