We are having family come to visit soon and as always, I like to get a few things prepared ahead of time so I do not spend too much time in the kitchen when our guests are here. For breakfast, I like to have a couple of breakfast treats in the freezer like tasty muffins and coffee cakes which are great to pull out the night before you want to serve them. It is strawberry time here in Florida right now, and we lucky enough to have the most amazing big ripe strawberries available to us so I decided to use them in the muffins I baked this week. These muffins also had ripe bananas included which helped keep them moist and tender as well. The muffins turned out great, and are so pretty that I also think they would be a special treat to serve your family, warm from the oven, on Valentine’s Day!
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Light Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Mashed Bananas (About 2 Large)
- 1 Cup Trimmed & Chopped Fresh Strawberries
- Sliced Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine the flours, soda, cinnamon, and salt in one bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, oil, and mashed bananas.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and chopped strawberries just until combined.
- Fill the muffin cups a little more than 3/4 full, then place a piece of sliced strawberry on each muffin.
- Bake until firm, about 20 minutes.