I think strawberries and rhubarb are a match made in heaven, and when found fresh rhubarb in our local grocery store recently I couldn’t help but pick up a package. Luckily we are in the midst of strawberry season here in Florida as well, so I decided to combine the two fruits in an easy roasted fruit compote.
Roasting the fruits caramelizes the sugars and really brings out their flavors. This compote is delicious served on vanilla gelato, spooned over panna cotta, or spooned onto slices of angel food cake or pound cake.
- 1/2 Pound Strawberries, Trimmed & Chopped
- 1/2 Pound Rhubarb, Cut Into 3/4 Inch Pieces
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Orange Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Zest
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Toss the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, zest, and orange juice together in a non-reactive casserole dish.
- Roast the rhubarb mixture for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is tender and the juices have thickened.
- Allow to come to room temperature before serving.