Grilled Zucchini With Mint
This summer has been a scorcher so we’ve been cooking outdoors as much as possible. Unfortunately our Umbria farmhouse does not have air conditioning, so my kitchen can get really warm if I have the oven on for any length of time. When we fire up the grill to cook our meat or seafood entree, I always add a vegetable side dish or two that can be grilled as well to keep dinner preparation simple. These grilled zucchini wedges couldn’t be any easier, and the addition of fresh mint really adds a bright freshness to the dish. I use this seasoned olive oil mixture often when grilling meat or vegetables, either tossing the vegetables in it before cooking as I did in this recipe, or brushing it on while the meat or vegetables are cooking.
I’m not sure why zucchini and mint go so well together, but take my word for it, it’s a great combination. We use a charcoal grill here in Italy, but you can use a gass grill or charcoal, just cook the zucchini over medium heat so they don’t brown too quickly.
Deborah Mele 2012
Grilled Zucchini Wedges With Mint
A great summer side dish to make when you are grilling meat.
- 4 Medium Zucchini
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Large Garlic Clove, Peeled & Minced
- Pinch of Chili Flakes
- 3 Tablespoons Coarsely Chopped Fresh Mint
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise into four wedges.
- Mix the olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, and chili flakes in a bowl than add the zucchini wedges and toss to coat.
- Heat up the grill and once the coals are ready cook the zucchini turning every so often until fork tender.
- Arrange the zucchini in a platter and scatter the fresh mint on top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 273mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g