This is a dish my husband grew up enjoying only his Mother used broccoli rabe when she made her version and it reminds me of real country peasant food. You can just imagine an old Nonna picking potatoes and greens from her garden and then cooking them together in this dish. You can use any greens you prefer including Swiss chard, chicory, broccoli rabe, and even spinach though heartier greens work better than spinach in my opinion. Though it isn’t the most attractive dish to look at, it is delicious and very hearty. You could also add some sautéed pancetta or bacon if you like, although we prefer it just the way it is. You can mash the potatoes even more, but I prefer to have my potatoes in larger pieces. I would serve this dish with grilled or roasted meat, and sausages in particular work really well.
Deborah Mele 2013
- 1 Pound Swiss Chard (Or Other Greens - See Notes Above)
- 1 Pound Potatoes, Peeled & Cut Into Quarters
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Large Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Minced
- Fine Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 to 1 Teaspoon Red Hot Pepper Flakes
- Wash the chard and trim the stems, then cut the stems into 1 inch pieces.
- Fold the leaves together, and cut into 1/2 inch strips.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then add the potatoes and cook until just almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the stems from the chard and cook another 10 minutes, then add the leaves and cook until wilted.
- Drain the potatoes and chard very well in a colander.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic.
- Season the oil with salt and pepper and add the red pepper flakes.
- Add the Swiss chard and potatoes, then cook over medium heat, stirring often, and mashing the potatoes gently as they cook, for about 8 minutes.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed, then serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g