There are days that come along after I have overindulged in my eating, or had a glass or two of wine, that I wake up in the morning and simply crave healthy food. On those days I’ll enjoy a green smoothie for breakfast, and eat grilled fish and veggies for dinner. For lunch, I love making a big “detox” salad packed full of healthy ingredients like kale, red grapefruit, barley, pomegranate arils, avocados, and lightly toasted walnuts. All these ingredients nourish my body and best of all, taste delicious too!
I’ve said it many times before, but I like salads that have lots of color and different textures, and are chock full of healthy fruits and vegetables. I had cooked barley on hand already, so I included it in my salad to add fiber and to ensure the salad was hearty enough to keep me satisfied until dinner, but you could use any cooked grain you prefer, Farro, millet, quinoa, and barley are my favorites.
If you wanted to enjoy this salad for dinner, you could add sliced grilled chicken or seafood, or if you prefer a vegetarian meal, simply add a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas. If you are the type that thinks about iceberg lettuce when one mentions salad, you might think eating kale in a salad a tad extreme. I personally find raw kale delicious, but I’d suggest using Tuscan kale, also called Lacinato kale as it has a milder flavor and is more tender than other kale varieties. If kale is still a reach for you, try the new baby kale salad mixes now available, or instead choose baby spinach or arugula.
- 1 Bunch Tuscan (Lacinato) Kale, Ribs Removed, Washed, Dried, & Cut Into Shreds
- 2 Red Grapefruits, Peeled & Segments Removed
- 1/3 Cup Pomegranate Arils
- 1 Large, Ripe Avocado, Cut Into Medium Dice
- 1 Cup Cooked Barley (Or Grain Of Choice)
- 1/3 Cup Lightly Toasted Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Teaspoons Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large salad bowl, combine the salad ingredients and toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients, then pour over the salad, and gently toss to coat.
- Serve immediately divided between four plates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 8gSugar: 11gProtein: 7g