This is a variation of a salad I have been making for years. Soft goat cheese is shaped into coins and then these are rolled into breadcrumbs. Once my salad has been assembled and just before serving, I bake the goat cheese coins and then serve them warm on the salad. The combination of fresh, crisp greens and warm goat cheese is wonderful, and the goat cheese wrks well with just about any type of greens although I prefer baby spinach, or a mesclun mix. I had this salad on my blog years ago, but somehow when I had a redesign it was lost so I decided recently that I needed to include it again.
This is a salad I often serve when entertaining and has become one of my favorite through the years. In this version I included roasted beets which I have found pair well with the creamy, tangy goat cheese. You can include any of your favorite salad ingredients or use your dressing of choice, but this is just a basic recipe to get you started. As I have said many times, my idea of a great salad is one with lots of color, texture and flavor. I used a combination of both golden and red beets but any beet variety works well. This salad really does deliver all that!
Deborah Mele 2014
For The Beets:
- 4 Medium Small Sized Beets
- 1/8 Cup Olive Oil
Goat Cheese Coins:
- 1 (4 Ounce) Log Soft Goat Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 4 Cups Baby Greens Of Choice
- 1/2 Cup Thinly Sliced Radishes
- 3/4 Cup Diced Cucumber
- 4 Green Onions, About 1/3 Cup, Diced
- 1/3 Cup Lightly Toasted Sliced Almonds
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. F.
- Place the beets in a shallow baking dish, and pour the olive oil.
- Roll the beets to coat, and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake until tender, about an hour to an hour and a half then remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once the beets have cooled, use a sharp knife to peel them, and then cut into 1 inch pieces and set aside until needed.
- Cut the goat cheese into four equal pieces and then shape into coins.
- Roll the coins into the breadcrumbs and the refrigerate until needed.
- In a large bowl, toss the salad ingredients together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use olive oil spray to lightly coat a foil lined baking sheet and then place the coins on top.
- Bake the coins for 3 to 4 minutes or until very soft and warm.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to coat.
- Arrange the salad onto four plates, divide the beets on top, then use a spatula to move a coin from the baking sheet to top the salad and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 10gSugar: 6gProtein: 11g