Vegetables play an important part in our weekly menus which have me on a constant search for tasty new recipes. One of my favorite ways to prepare vegetables such as cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli is to roast them. Roasting vegetables bring out their natural sugars which add an earthy sweetness to any vegetable.
Although I enjoy cauliflower roasted after being tossed in just a little olive oil and sea salt, I liked the idea of tossing the roasted cauliflower in a vibrant dressing while still warm. The dressing of parsley, lemon, garlic, anchovy, and olive oil comes together in mere minutes in the food processor and really brings the cauliflower to life.
This vegetable side would be great served with grilled or roasted meat, poultry, or fish. When buying cauliflower, look for heads that have a creamy white color with densely packed florets free of blemishes, browning or wet spots. The cauliflower head should feel heavy in your hand for its size.
If you are lucky enough to find purple, green or orange cauliflower they should be uniformly colored. Most grocery bought cauliflower comes wrapped in plastic, which can trap moisture and promote rot. When you get your cauliflower home from the store, unwrap it immediately and transfer to a loosely sealed plastic bag, with a paper towel tucked in to absorb any excess moisture.
Whole heads of cauliflower can be kept in a loosely sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator for 4 to 7 days. Precut florets should be stored for no more than four days before they begin to brown.
- 1 Large Head of Cauliflower (About 2 Pounds), Trimmed & Cut Into Florets
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil, Divided
- 1 Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 1 Clove Garlic, Peeled
- 1 Anchovy (or 1/2 Teaspoon Anchovy Paste)
- 1 Teaspoon Capers, Drained
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the florets with 3 tablespoons olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Spread the florets onto a foil lined baking sheets and roast, tossing occasionally, until tender and golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, place the remaining olive oil, parsley, garlic, anchovy, capers, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped but still has texture.
- When the cauliflower has finished roasting, toss with the dressing.
- Spoon the cauliflower into a serving bowl, top with lemon zest and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 122mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g