When I am trying to eat lighter and healthier, I often turn to salads. You can turn just about any vegetable or fruit into a salad, creating a different salad every day of the year. This unique salad uses celery root, celery stalks, and celery leaves in a crunchy, tasty salad that can be utilized as a light side dish, or served as a main lunch dish. I added some fresh parsley leaves for an herbal layer, and green apple for some sweetness and even more crunch. A salad such as this one needs just the right dressing to bring everything together and a zesty vinaigrette made with Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil is just right. To turn this salad into a hearty dinner salad, you could top the salad with some grilled shrimp or chicken along with some lightly toasted walnuts.
All the ingredients in this salad need to be chopped thinly, so you could use a mandolin if you have one, or a sharp knife works just as well. Everyone always thinks of celery as being a water based vegetable without many nutrients, but celery is very rich in vitamin K and also contains folate, vitamin A, potassium, and vitamin C, and dietary fiber. Celery root (also known as “celeriac”), is low in cholesterol and saturated fat and is an excellent source of riboflavin, calcium, Vitamin B6, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, Vitamins A, C, and K, as well as dietary fiber.
Deborah Mele 2017
- 1 Medium Celery Root, Peeled, Thinly Sliced, & Cut Into Matchsticks
- 4 Stalks Celery, Thinly Sliced
- 2 Cups Celery Leaves, Coarsely Chopped
- 1 Large Granny Smith Apple, Quartered, Cored, And Cut Into Matchsticks
- 1 Large Lemon, Squeezed
- 1/3 Cup Fresh, Flat Leafed Parsley
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Toss the celery root and apple with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- In a large serving bowl, toss together the celery root, celery, celery leaves, apple, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, then toss with the salad to lightly coat.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 277mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g