Salads are a staple in my house, and I am always working to create new flavor combinations. Salads can be hearty enough to be the main course, or they can be served as a side dish to compliment a seafood or meat entree. I like my salads to have lots of color and texture, and of course, they have to taste great too! This unique salad is a pairing of flavors that initially may seem odd together, but for some reason, they just work. Roasted beets have an earthy sweetness that pairs well with the subtle bitterness of radicchio lettuce. I added some lightly toasted walnuts for texture, and creamy Gorgonzola crumbles to finish it off. I had bought one bunch of red beets and one bunch of golden beets so I chose to use some of both.
One of my favorite winter fruits is blood oranges which have such a vibrant color and a fresh citrus flavor that is entirely addictive. I decided that this beet salad needed a special dressing, so I whisked together some freshly squeezed blood orange juice with a little Dijon mustard and olive oil. I like to serve this salad as an appetizer, but you could top it with some slices of chicken to turn it into the main course. Toasting the walnuts brings out the natural oils and enhances their flavor. To toast the walnuts, spread them on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for about seven to eight minutes.
Deborah Mele 2017
- 4 Medium Beets (Red, Golden, Or A Combination Of The Two)
- 1 Small Head Of Radicchio Lettuce
- 1/2 Cup Gorgonzola Crumbles
- 1/2 Cup Lightly Toasted Walnuts (See Notes Above)
- 1/3 Cup Blood Orange Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the beets in a small roasting pan, and bake until tender, about 1 hour.
- Cool the beets completely, then peel and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Coarsely chop the radicchio, then arrange on a platter with the beets.
- Distribute the Gorgonzola crumbles and walnuts on top of the salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients until blended.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 345mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 7g