Summer has finally arrived after a cold rainy spring, and when the heat index rises, I try to avoid using my oven too often. We have a grill on our screened in porch, so no matter what the weather may be, we can use our barbecue in place of the oven.
I love roasting bell peppers of mixed colors, but during the summer it makes more sense to grill the peppers on the barbecue rather than roast them in the oven which will heat up the kitchen. If you leave just a little of the char on the peppers, it gives them a subtle smoky flavor that is really delicious.
I often have these peppers on hand in my refrigerator so I can add them to marinated olives, sliced cheese, and salumi and have a quick and easy appetizer selection available.
After the peppers are grilled, place them in a plastic bag for about ten minutes, and the skins will easily peel off. After that, all you need to do is slice the peppers into strips, and toss them with some good quality olive oil, salt, peppers, and finely chopped basil or parsley. As well as being an excellent option for an antipasti selection, these peppers are also delicious tossed with hot pasta, used on top of pizza, or along with cured meats in a panini.
- 6 Bell Peppers Of Mixed Color
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Finely Minced Fresh Basil or Parsley Leaves
- Preheat the grill or barbecue to medium high heat.
- Cut the peppers into thirds lengthwise, and remove the core and seeds.
- Spray the grill with non-stick oil spray.
- Place the peppers cut side down on the grill and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Turn the peppers skin side down, and cook until the skin is blackened and blistered, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Place the peppers in a plastic bag and seal, then let rest 10 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife and peel almost all of the charred skin from the peppers.
- Cut the peppers into slices and place in a bowl.
- Toss the peppers with the oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and chopped herbs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/3 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 52mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g