We are leaving for our three-month stay in Italy tomorrow, so we had our family over for a barbecue a couple of weeks ago. I decided that since the weather is still very warm that we would dine outdoors and I got busy working on preparing the perfect summer menu. When I am entertaining, I like to choose a dessert that can be made ahead of time, such as Panna Cotta or Tiramisu. Everyone loves my classic Tiramisu as well as my Limoncello Tiramisu, but I wanted to create a new flavor combination that would be perfect for our summer get-together.
We now have amazing Red Haven peaches available in our local markets right now which are naturally sweet and full flavored so I decided on using peaches and almonds as my flavor combination. I started out using fresh peaches and a combination of almond extract and sweetened white wine as my dipping liquid for the sponge cookies. Though fresh and light, the end product was a little bland, and the almond flavor was more prominent than the peaches. I then set out to develop the peach flavor by using peach liqueur along with the white wine in my dipping liquid and a little almond extract in the mascarpone cream. My third attempt turned out to have the perfect balance of peach and almond, and everyone enjoyed my tiramisu.
This dessert is best made at least six hours before serving and actually works out well by making it the night before you plan to serve it. This recipe makes a 9 x 13-inch layered dessert, but you could also use a glass trifle bowl, or even individual glass bowls to create this dish. I doubled this recipe to make enough to serve over twenty people, but this recipe will serve up to twelve people. For best results, choose ripe, unblemished peaches, and room temperature mascarpone cheese. I also add whipped heavy cream which lightens the tiramisu because mascarpone can be heavy. This dessert will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator, but it is so tasty, I doubt that it will last that long!
Deborah Mele 2019
- 4 Large Eggs At Room Temperature, Separated
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 500 Grams Mascarpone at Room Temperature
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups White Wine
- 1/3 Cup Peach Liqueur Plus 2 Tablespoons
- 24 Savoiardi Cookies
- 5 Medium Peaches, Peeled, Pitted, And Cut Into 1-inch Cubes
- 1/2 Cup Lightly Toasted Sliced Almonds
- Beat the 4 egg yolks until light.
- Add the sugar and continue to beat until smooth.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and beat until blended.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- Now whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form, then fold this into the cheese mixture along with the almond extract.
- In a small bowl, stir the two tablespoons of peach liqueur into the peaches.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together the wine and peach liqueur.
- Dip the cookies into the wine mixture one at a time until barely moistens.
- Arrange the cookies side by side at the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon half the cheese mixture over the cookies, then spread the diced peaches on top.
- Follow with another layer of moistened cookies, finishing with a layer of the remaining cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the dessert and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 672 Total Fat: 43g Saturated Fat: 20g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 136mg Sodium: 397mg Carbohydrates: 58g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 37g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g