Back in February, which seems like a very long time ago, we went to Grey Ghost restaurant in Detroit. Although we enjoyed everything we ordered, the one dish that stuck out to me was charred cabbage wedges that were topped with a delicious Asian sweet and spicy sauce. The dish served was a huge portion, and I was thrilled we had ordered it to share as it would have been a complete meal for one! Although I loved the flavors used, I immediately started to wonder how I could replicate the recipe at home but using Italian ingredients instead of Asian ones.
I discovered Calabrian chili pesto a couple of years ago, and it has become a staple in my kitchen. Instead of the Siracha used at the restaurant, I used my chili pesto. For the sweet ingredient, I used raw honey. The addition of white wine vinegar, olive oil, and garlic rounded out my sauce. You can play around with the ingredients as you choose. Decreasing the amount of chili pesto if you do not like things too spicy or add a little more honey for extra sweetness.
Cabbage is one vegetable that is often ignored, but it is very healthy for you. Cabbage is low calorie and packed with nutrients. Just half a cup of cooked cabbage has about a third the vitamin C you need for the day. It also gives you doses of fiber, folate, potassium, magnesium, vitamins A and K, and more. I enjoy this cabbage dish warm or at room temperature so you can thoroughly enjoy all the flavors. This veggie side dish works well served in the summer with grilled meat or poultry, but it is also delicious with roasted or braised during the colder months.
Deborah Mele 2020
- 1 Head Cabbage
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
Sweet & Spicy Sauce:
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons Calabrian Chili Pesto
- 5 Tablespoons Raw Honey
- 5 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley Leaves
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut the cabbage in half, then cut each half into three wedges keeping the core intact.
- Drizzle the cabbage with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the cabbage for about 20 minutes, turning the wedges halfway, until or the wedges begin to open and the edges become charred.
- While the cabbage is roasting, put the rest of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the sauce is mixed but still has texture.
- Arrange the cabbage wedges on a platter, and drizzle the sauce on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 318mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 6gSugar: 31gProtein: 7g