I usually do not enjoy baking, but during the COVID quarantine, I found myself baking something sweet or savory almost daily. Since it is just my husband and myself at home, luckily for me, my daughter and her family live just a mile down the road, so I send most of my baking down to them. With two hungry teenagers and one preteen who eats like a grown man, none of my baking ever goes to waste.
When I bake anything, it is usually relatively simple, rustic, and includes either fruit or nuts. These crumb bars are a perfect example as they are so easy and take just a few minutes to pull together. I used Michigan blueberries in my bars, and you can use both fresh and frozen blueberries. You could use other berries or another chopped fresh fruit such as peaches depending on what is in season. I like to refrigerate these bars before cutting them to ensure clean edges. These bars pack well, making them perfect for taking on picnics or to pack in a lunch box.
Deborah Mele 2020
- 3 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Large Egg At Room Temperature
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Zest From 1 Lemon
- 4 Cups Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture along with the butter to the flour mixture and use either a fork or pastry cutter to mix until you have coarse crumbs.
- Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of your pan.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the filling ingredients.
- Spread the blueberry mixture over the crumb bottom evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the blueberries to cover.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the topic golden brown and the fruit is bubbly.
- Cool about a half an hour, then refrigerate another 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g