When green beans are at their peak in the summer, this is a great recipe to try. Serve them with roasted or grilled meats or seafood. I love picking beans fresh from the garden, cooking them, and being able to enjoy their freshness that same day. The key to this recipe is removing the beans from the boiling water at the perfect moment, and then dropping them into an ice water bath to keep them tender crisp. I serve this dish at room temperature.
- 1 Pound Green Beans, Ends Removed
- 2 Medium Ripe Tomatoes
- 3 Large Cloves Of Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Dash Of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Herb (Parsley or Basil Are Good Choices)
- Cook the beans in lightly salted water until tender crisp, then drain, and drop into an ice water bath to stop the cooking process.
- Cut the garlic into thin slivers, and core and seed the tomatoes.Cut the tomatoes into 1/2 inch dice.
- Drain the beans.Heat the oil in a pan, and once it is hot add the garlic.
- Cook for just a minute or two, and add the tomatoes and beans, and cook for another minute or two, carefully stirring the mixture to coat the beans evenly with the tomato and garlic mixture.
- Remove from the heat, and add the fresh, chopped herb, and season with the salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes if you are using them.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g