My favorite aspect of Italian cuisine is its regionality. Every region in Italy has its own specialties, some shared by other regions but with different names. I love discovering regional recipes that I am not familiar with, including this flatbread like tart.
This unique zucchini flatbread hails from Tuscany, Viareggio in particular, that was said to have originated from retired sailors who used zucchini from their gardens. Viareggio is a coastal city in Tuscany, famous for its amazing Carnival every year.
Scarpaccia can be either sweet or savory, or sometimes a little of both. Although it could be served with a meal, it is often served as a snack instead. It takes its name from the word scarpa for shoe because it looks well cooked when taken from the oven, like a well-worn shoe, and is often thin like the soles of a shoe as well.
My version is thicker, and I cut it into small squares for easy snacking. Depending on the size pan you use, you can make it thinner or thicker, whatever you prefer. I prefer to use zucchini on the smaller size for this recipe because they release less liquid.
- 1 Pound Small Zucchini, Ends Trimmed
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Unbleached All-purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Butter and flour a a 7x11-inch or 9x9 baking dish and set it aside.
- Cut the zucchini into thin rounds.
- Layer them in a colander and sprinkle salt between each layer.
- Place a weight such as a large can on top the zucchini to weigh the slices down.
- Allow the zucchini to "sweat" for 1 hour.
- Rinse and dry the slices and set them aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in the milk, egg, salt, and flour to create a batter.
- Fold in the zucchini.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- Drizzle the top with olive oil.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Serve warm cut into squares.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 5g