The Covid 19 Pandemic has had many folks in their kitchens baking up a storm, trying to keep busy, especially while we were locked down. Browsing the internet, it seemed everyone was into sourdough starters, baking loaves of sourdough bread, and making banana bread. I can honestly say I have never seen so many different recipes for banana bread in just a few short months. It seemed that everyone was making some variation of banana bread, and I found myself getting drawn into the banana bread addiction, and I made a few loaves myself.
Although I already have some great recipes for banana bread posted on my blog, one recipe I made during quarantine that was an absolute winner was this one that includes sour cream. Although traditional banana bread is inherently moist, to begin with, adding sour cream just brought it up a notch. After baking dozens of loaves, I have found that mashing all but one of the ripe bananas and cutting that one into small dice gives the bread texture. I also like to cut a ripe banana in half and lay it across the top of the batter just before it goes into the oven to bake. You could fold a cup or so of raisins, diced apples, or chocolate chips into the batter before baking if you wanted to! This loaf is very moist, so I’d wrap leftovers in plastic wrap or foil and store leftovers in the refrigerator. This bread also freezes well, so feel free to double the recipe and freeze the second loaf!
Deborah Mele 2020
- 1/2 Cup (1 Stick) Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs At Room Temperature, Lightly Beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Mashed Bananas Plus 1 Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Ripe Banana Cut In Half Lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer and cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, and vanilla and blend.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- Add the sour cream and bananas, and stir just until mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and lay a banana half on top.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly, about 50 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pan, and cool to room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 319mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 5g