This is one of those simple, easy recipes that after each time I make it I wonder why I do not do it more often! I was reminded how much we love these sweet, roasted onions after visiting our favorite little restaurant in Deruta for lunch called Locanda del Bracconiere recently where they serve simple good home cooking. They have an amazing antipasti table packed full of local specialties.
My favorite items on the table are always the myriad of vegetables they prepare in every method you could imagine. Although the antipasti selections change often, they do almost always have these roasted onions which are so sweet and delicious that every time I taste them I vow to make them at home soon after. I finally got around to doing just that after buying 6 small red onions at the local market.
This dish is so easy you really do not need a recipe, but I will write it out for you so you can follow it the first time. From that point on you can simple drizzle on some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper on your sliced onions and roast them until they are tender, turning them over halfway.
Once peeled, slice the onions in half crossways. If you are using larger onions, slice them in thirds so all of the slices roast evenly. Before serving I simply sprinkle on a little fresh chopped herb such as oregano or parsley. These onions are amazing served with any roasted or grilled meat dish.
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6 Small or 4 Medium Sweet Onions
- 1/3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dry White Wine
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Green Herb Such As Parsley, Thyme, Or Oregano
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel the onions and slice crossways in half.
- Put olive oil along with the butter into an ovenproof casserole large enough to hold all of the onion halves.
- Whisk in the vinegar, wine, salt, sugar, and pepper.
- Place the onion slices side by side in the dish, cut side down.
- Cover loosely with foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn onions over, and brush with juices in the pan.
- Uncover, and bake another 20 to 25 minutes or until onions are tender and browned.
- Remove from oven and serve warm or at room temperature, topped with fresh chopped herb of choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 halves
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 23gProtein: 3g