Apple Butter Muffins
I use many apples in my baking each fall, and this year I also made a big batch of apple butter in my slow cooker. As well as enjoying a spoonful of apple butter on my yogurt each morning, I saved some of it to use in these tasty apple muffins. If you do not want to take the time to make your own apple butter, you can use a store bought brand instead.
I don’t bake many cakes as there are only two of us in the house. Muffins, however, are perfect for us as they are the exact size for a quick snack, and they freeze well so I can enjoy them whenever I am craving something sweet. Muffins are also quick to prepare and bake in just minutes, so if you need something fast to serve to guests, you can throw them together inn just a few minutes.
These muffins are moist and tender and are delicious served warm with a dollop of butter for breakfast or an afternoon coffee break. You could also fold in some chopped apple or raisins into the batter before baking if you wanted to. I have also used whole wheat pastry flour in place of the all-purpose flour with good results also.
Deborah Mele 2020
Apple Butter Muffins
Moist, tender muffins flavored with apples and spices.
- 2 1/4 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Cups Apple Butter
- 3/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Large Eggs At Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Finely Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line regular size muffin tin with papers, or spray with baking spray.
- In one bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the apple butter, brown sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla until blended.
- Dump the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ones, and use a spatula or wooden spoon and mix just until combined.
- Let batter sit 10 minutes.
- Use a scoop or spoon and fill muffin cups almost to the top.
- Sprinkle with the chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F. and bake another 12 to 13 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out cleanly.
- Cool 10 minutes, then remove from the tin.
- Enjoy warm with a spread of sweet butter!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g