I take my holiday menu planning very seriously. Although I always take my family’s requests into consideration, I like to add at least one new dish each year to our holiday table. This year I tested a few different side dishes but ended up sticking to family favorites in the end. This green bean salad was one recipe that I tried that didn’t make it onto either one of my holiday menus, but it was so tasty I knew that I wanted to share it.
This colorful salad has crunch, color, and lots of flavor; three essential criteria for any salad in my mind. The radicchio adds a little bitterness, while the pomegranate arils add a sweet tang. This is a perfect winter salad or side dish when entertaining or just creating a unique family dish.
The radicchio will wilt if dressed too soon, so dress the salad and toss just before serving. For the best results, cook the beans until they reach the peak of tenderness, then immediately drain and dump into an ice bath to stop the cooking and keep the beans crisp and bright green.
- 1 Pound Green Beans, Trimmed
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds
- 1 Small Head Radicchio, Sliced Halved Lengthwise & Thinly Sliced
- 1 Fennel Bulb, Outer Leaves Removed & Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate Arils
- 1/2 Cup Thinly Sliced Red Onion
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Bring a 4 quart pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Fill a large bowl with ice cubes and cold water.
- Add the green beans to the pot, cook until tender to the bite, about 3 minutes, then transfer the green beans to the ice-water bath for 1 to 2 minutes (to stop the cooking and fix their color).
- Drain and cut the beans, pat dry, and place into a large bowl.
- Add the almonds, radicchio, fennel, pomegranate arils, and onion, then toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients, then drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Toss to coat, then serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g