In this easy recipe, quickly cooked, tender shrimp are coated in a delicious tomato sauce which has been flavored with olives, capers, garlic and hot peppers. I have been asked many times to share recipes for Shrimp Capri, or Chicken Capri, so I have added my version of this tasty dish.
You can either use fresh tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, or even halved cherry tomatoes in the sauce. In order to keep the shrimps tender, just be careful not to overcook them. The hot red pepper flakes are optional, but they are what gives this recipe it’s unique flavor.
Cook the sauce up until it is just thick enough to coat the shrimp as you don’t want the shrimp swimming in sauce. Serve with crusty Italian bread to sop up all the delicious sauce. This dish could be an appetizer or main course option depending on portion size.
Cook’s Tip: Store fresh or thawed shrimp in a colander that is filled with ice and set it over a bowl. Thawed shrimp should be kept for just one day before using, while fresh shrimp can be kept for 2 to 3 days. Although most stores sell frozen, or thawed (previously frozen) shrimp, if you have the opportunity to buy fresh shrimp, you will be amazed at the difference in texture and flavor.
- 1 Pound Of Large Shrimp
- 2 Cloves Of Garlic, Minced
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Dash Of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 2 Cups Chopped Tomatoes, Or Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 12 Black Olives, Pitted And Coarsely Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Capers
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- When hot, add the garlic and shrimp, then season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook just 30 seconds on each side until the shrimp turns pink.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan, and add the wine.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and cook until it has almost evaporated.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Return the shrimp to the pan, add the olives and capers, and cook for another minute.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Add the fresh parsley and butter, and mix well.
- Serve immediately, while hot and bubbly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 pound
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 255mgSodium: 1606mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g